Thursday 20 September 2012

Nesting in Spain





(For Ayden, Darius and Eli)

I first noticed them in Almaden, the kind of thing you know you are seeing, but can't quite believe is real. In El Real De La Jara they were on top of towers and pillars. The church bell tower was crowned with the biggest one I'd seen yet. Until today. Monesterio, and the ancient church in the centre of town. Nests. Huge nests.

Que es? I finally asked.

Storks. They come to Spain to nest, then fly south to Africa.

If I could think of a way to climb up I'd have a beautiful view of the stars and a comfy bed for the night.

1 comment:

  1. I've been going to Spain since 1984 and have seen the stork nests time and time again and they are just that huge. I didn't see any this past summer on my last trip and had almost forgotten about them. Thank you for your blog. I am enjoying it tons!

    ReplyDelete