Wednesday 31 October 2012

Where in The World are Stacy and Juli?


It's been four days since we arrived in Santiago. I do not know how to describe the space we are in...and so perhaps I should back up...

Sunday, October 21, 2012: Oseiras to Silleda, 37 km.

Stacy, the gazelle, walked with me for the first hour. The next nine I was alone. The area was beautiful. And the hunters out in force! Before Stacy and I became separated she asked if I had noticed the hunters? Immersed in the view of the valley to my left I hadn't noticed the men, looming over my right shoulder, guns cocked, waiting for wild boar to visualize.

It was interesting to be so completely alone for such a long time. While walking, thoughts, and ideas, previously confused, became more clear. An email of thanks to write. Business decisions. Life plans. I found that Thomas Mann is correct when he said; "thoughts come more clearly while one walks." And Nietzsche who said: "all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking." Have I had truly great thoughts? I don't know, but I have had many healing and strength building thoughts. A good place to start.

At one point during the day, after checking to make sure I was truly alone, I start dancing to the music streaming from my i-pod. Not far ahead, hunters in a car spot me before I see them. They pull up beside me, roll down the window, and laughing wish me 'Buen Camino!'

Then a lovely surprise as we entered Silleda! F (Italy), who had already reached Santiago, was waiting. Dinner, and a casa rural (instead of the shared dormitory quarters of an albergue). It does not take much to make us feel spoiled now. Still, I felt quite spoiled. A hair dryer? Wow!!!!

The Casa Rural on the edge of Silleda : Casa Grande de Fuentemayor   has been owned by the same family for over 300 years. A must visit, especially in clothes that don't smell! (Check their site on facebook!)



Monday, Oct 22: Silleda to Ponte Ulla: (20.4 km) Stacy and I set off from the Cathedral in Silleda at 9 am. I was excited. I admit, I forgot to be quiet, even though it was not yet 11 a.m. But Stacy was feeling it too, and was forgiving. Only 1 day away from Santiago!

We continued to walk alone a good part of the day. I think, as the goal nears, we were both becoming quieter than usual. Excitement, but also trepidation. Pride for reaching our goal, yet not really wanting the experience to end.

I am understanding more fully the 3 Irish men, who every year, walk a different section of a camino, never reaching Santiago, never wanting the experience to end...

No comments:

Post a Comment